Texting and chronic texters

TopGuy

Question

In a recent thread someone raised the issue of chronic texters - those who just keep texting despite being asked to stop and call instead. In my experience these seem to originate mostly from GT (like most nutter calls do) and they either keep texting regardless or just stop communicating altogether.

However, I was wondering what other guys experience of chonic texters has been? Are they always/usually timewasters or nutters?

If you're happy to keep texting them in adfinitum, how long before you start to think they might be a timewaster?

If you've actually met some text-only clients, how did you ascertain they were genuine and not timewasters?

And do they turn out to have a good reason for texting only?

13 answers to this question

I dont even let them get that far. I just bounce back a text that says "Thanks for the enquiry, call this number for details and appointments". At least if they're interested they do. If they keep texting I just ignore them. I soon got fed up with the excuses from some of them eg. "Can't talk the wife / boyfriend might hear" or "dont have any credit left on the phone to call" - so how are you texting me and how will you afford my rates?

Any text that is remotely sexual, "how big is your cock" for instance I assume is a timewaster having a wank!

The only txts I do reply to is if they are from a previous client and then I still will not meet until they ring to confirm an appointment.

Guest Steve

Yes, however it is possible to have no credit but have free texts

I am the same as you, if they have no credit then how are they affording me.

I do accept texts from regulars and don't insist they phone

With my first reply I answer the question that they asked eg "I do most safe things etc", then I add to it: "Call me to arrange a booking or for all further enquiries, cheers!".

Then either they simply don't text back at all, text back with a stupid excuse that you know is bullshit like "my phone can't make phone calls it can only text", or some will just ignore what you said and continue to text.

I ignore all texts. They have been told to call, and keen/genuine client will always call. Time wasters will continue to text.

I kind of disagree, not in principle as chronic texters are extremely annoying, but on the basis that I've met a number of text only clients and they've been genuine. I had one client who sent upwards of 30 text messages within the couple of hours between first contacting me and meeting. I thought there was a chance he was just getting off on it and wouldn't turn up because a lot of the texts were sexual, but he did turn up so as much as it pissed me off at the time it was worth it in the end. With regards to your question as to how you ascertain whether or not they're genuine, I suppose you can't. But can you ever? Personally I just go on gut instinct. Some texters I end up ignoring if it's not going anywhere and I feel like I'm definitely not going to achieve anything from it, otherwise if I'm not busy I'll usually keep texting. I don't think I'd ever say "you have to call me to have an appointment"... would this not put a lot people off ie. discreet/married guys, afraid someone might over hear the conversation etc?

So agree with Craig! notably on the bullshit excuses - Ethan FCUK 30 txts and you ended up with a booking - sorry I would not have the patience - I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere so maybe this thread should merge - personally I have a TWO txt limit - ditto for reasons above - I have had a few - just few genuine bookings that start with a txt - many it seems to be the usual - I never done this before and I am nervous - yawn - I always remind them well if you want to make it happen you need to call - 90% end it there.

With regards to your question as to how you ascertain whether or not they're genuine, I suppose you can't. But can you ever? Personally I just go on gut instinct. Some texters I end up ignoring if it's not going anywhere and I feel like I'm definitely not going to achieve anything from it, otherwise if I'm not busy I'll usually keep texting. I don't think I'd ever say "you have to call me to have an appointment"... would this not put a lot people off ie. discreet/married guys, afraid someone might over hear the conversation etc?

This is an interesting point Ethan. I've always limited texts in the past, feeling that guys who send lots are likely to be time wasters. SMS has become a legitimate means of communication for many people though, and just because someone is more comfortable texting doesn't necessarily mean that they're automatically wasting one's time. Maybe I shouldn't be tarring all texters with the same brush!

In terms of meeting however, I find it much easier to work out whether I like someone or not by speaking to them. I don't meet anyone I feel uncomfortable on the phone with and I don't think it's possible for me to develop that level of comfort with someone by text. Voice, as you know, coveys a lot more than words alone.

SMS has become a legitimate means of communication for many people though

I have softened my approach to txt. messages recently because of the above reason. I still won't meet a client until the appointment is arranged via a voice call. I need to hear the voice just to set my mind at rest.

You'll always get the wind ups and constant texts from people. Recently I had numerous texts messages from a number, using the excuse that he was deaf. It fell a bit flat because a fortnight before that number had been used for 2 voice calls to me.

Obviously, if a text reads like a longhand email in proper English, there is some give. But for me, text speak = flippant = time waster.

It does come down to devices. Unfortunately there are plenty with facilities that are more like a standard email that can send to an SMS inbox on the most primitive of devices.

Some sensible advice shared above - OK for years I have had a regular client and everything is by txt - so there are SOME exceptions to the general rule that 99% that are txt ONLY obsessive are timewasters.
FYI I recently added this to my profile:

TEXTS OK BUT! I have a three txt limit. If you are too nervous to even call to secure the booking then, TRUST ME, you have too much emotional baggage to ever meet me. Making that call is the ONLY key that will open my front door and smooth bubble butt to making it happen.

Bookings with me must be arranged via text message and email only, since I have a mild hearing impairment. Whilst communication in person is no problem, the 'synthetic' nature of a telephone call limits my communication skills and I say "pardon" too many times, so that the client might think they're dealing with an idiot [hold that sarcastic remark, thanks! :) ]

If text messaging remains coherent and seems to be steadily progressing towards a meet... then I'll continue replying.  I've been proven wrong on a number of occasions however, when I've thought 'this is never going to come to a booking' when, in fact, the client HAS turned up. So it is sometimes worth pursuing.

As already mentioned above: GUT INSTINCT is often one's best guide.  I also store the numbers/names of TimeWasters in my phone as "TW1" "TW2" etc. This too, helps to save my time.

Clint

Archived