How to avoid paying premium rates on 08.... Numbers!! 'every little helps!'

SleazyMichael

my lovely cousin Joy told me about this website - it has saved her £££ on phone bills - use the 'search to find an alternative number' option top left

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Many people don't realise that there are many phone providers offering cheaper calls to standard telephone numbers (those beginning with 01, 02 or 03), which don't apply to 0842, 0843, 0844, 0845, 0870, 0871, 0872 or 0873 telephone numbers. - Please see the links page and click on Cheapest Call Provider for price details. This shows that by using multiple providers, you can reduce your call cost on standard telephone numbers to as little as 5p fixed cost (regardless of duration), whereas the cheapest provider to 0871 numbers during the day that I am aware of charges 10p/min (+ 12.5p connection fee [with BT]) to call.

Worst still some companies that use these numbers are actually receiving a cut of the phone call costs.

If you have an 'inclusive landline calls' phone package, then it is very rare that 0844, 0845, 0870, and 0871 numbers are all included in your 'free minutes' allocation, unlike normal numbers. Many mobile phone packages also exclude freephone 0500, 0800 and 0808 numbers for your bundled minutes. BT and some other companies are starting to include 0845 and 0870, but this only applies to certain packages, and does not apply to 0844 and 0871 numbers.

Many companies advertise a separate number that can be used when calling from abroad - This usually begins in the format +44 - There is nothing to stop you using this number from the UK (as it is a normal rate telephone call), and will be included in any inclusive minutes provided by your landline or mobile phone provider. Many others will give you a standard number if you ask.

This site is all about listing these numbers, saving you money, without having to pay additional charges. To get started and find a particular number, please click on the 'Search to find an alternative number' link at the top of the page.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the site. Please continue to add any new numbers as and when you find them.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have an Iphone there is 0800 wizard which converts an 0800 number into a regular number and dial it using your free minutes. 0800 calls are not free on mobile at the moment

Some of the "alternative" abroad numbers block calls from domestic UK lines so they can literally only be dialled from abroad. You can get around that by dialling 141 on a landline or #31# on a mobile to block your call on a call by call basis so they can't see the caller ID information

ANOTHER MONEY SAVING TIP

If you get charged 25p or whatever to pick up your voicemail from your network, you can get around it. Set up a pin on your voicemail and then if you have a second phone, dial your mobile number from it, press star when you hear then message then your pin and access your voicemail from your other mobile. I have two mobiles, a private and a work mobile and I get charged 29p from orange to pick up a message. This uses the free minutes on each mobile, so doesn't really cost me anything

I tell ya Steve you got the tech well sussed!! - actually now that I just got I phone I am making notes on your 'money saving expert' tips - brill well done

If you have an Iphone there is 0800 wizard which converts an 0800 number into a regular number and dial it using your free minutes. 0800 calls are not free on mobile at the moment

Some of the "alternative" abroad numbers block calls from domestic UK lines so they can literally only be dialled from abroad. You can get around that by dialling 141 on a landline or #31# on a mobile to block your call on a call by call basis so they can't see the caller ID information

ANOTHER MONEY SAVING TIP

If you get charged 25p or whatever to pick up your voicemail from your network, you can get around it. Set up a pin on your voicemail and then if you have a second phone, dial your mobile number from it, press star when you hear then message then your pin and access your voicemail from your other mobile. I have two mobiles, a private and a work mobile and I get charged 29p from orange to pick up a message. This uses the free minutes on each mobile, so doesn't really cost me anything

Archived