One word replies - your thoughts?

TopGuy

Hi guys

I tend to be a bit too cynical about potential new clients who message me, and on occasion I've been surprised to find that guys I thought were timewasters or pic collectors have turned out to be genuine. However, most of the time my gut feelings prove correct.

I've noticed that guys who are really blunt in their messages often turn out to be timewasters or pic collectors or, on the rare occasion I've met these guys, they're more likely to be rude and arrogant. As an example, see this conversation below from gaydar today:

Received: Thursday 19 September 2013 09:11

Hi am looking to hook up

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sent: Thursday 19 September 2013 10:43

Hi mate

Thanks for your message. Could you tell me where and when you want to meet?

Pete

Received: Thursday 19 September 2013 18:28

Im in chiswick any face pics?

Sent: Thursday 19 September 2013 18:50

OK mate, when do you want to meet?

Received: Thursday 19 September 2013 19:45

Weekend

In this guy's defence, he sent face pics - if they're genuine. But he's messaged me twice before, asked for pics then vanished. So either I'm not his type or he's a collector/timewaster. Anyway, the blunt 'any face pics?' and the one word answer at the end in particular trigger alarms for me. I'd be really interested to know what others think - what are your experiences with guys who message with one word questions or answers?

I think of it as an internal, psychological defence mechanism. If his motive for contacting you is vague and uncertain, or isn't genuinely related to the content of the ad, stringing together an elaborate justification would bring into contrast the falseness of his approach. Something he would rather not admit to himself. Consciously or not, why invest time and effort in a false approach?

I try to get them to call. Some won't/don't, yet do turn up. Sometimes it can be a language barrier. But, in much of my experience of single word exchanges the brevity normally means time waster.

• 1 year later...

Archived